Thursday, December 4, 2014

Here's looking at you, 2015

Whoa, the past two years have flown by. And yet, looking back on my last post, I hardly recognize myself. Who was that naive and pessimistic girl, lost in a sea of depression, grasping for a lifeboat of love and affection? I found my way. I built a happy life in New York City, living out my dream of adopting a dog and dating a wonderful man. I guess I wasn't living a nightmare after all.

Nevertheless, on the cusp of a new year, I still feel lost. I've battled against the raging tide of time and toil: witnessed mental illness and old age take a toll on my parents, alienated and practically disowned my father, outgrown my career and worst of all, muted my sense of self. I can feel myself transforming into an adult, one that is bitter, impatient, emotionless. It's not the person I want to be when I grow up.

And so, this 2015, I make only one resolution. The resolution of intention and change. The intention represents my resolve towards betterment, be it in my career, my attitude or my relationships. The change represents the actions taken towards this goal and the much-hoped-for progress.

It's a lot to swallow. My aspirations for change span every domain of my life, from learning a new language, to adopting a healthier lifestyle, to jumpstarting my career. I don't know how or when or whether I will accomplish these. But I know that I will try.

In that vein, I write here the guiding ethos by which I hope to live my life. These are the principles I hope to uphold in my journey towards change. They are not rules; rules carry with them an implicit sense of discipline and fear. They are my values, which, if upheld, should lead me towards a happier, more peaceful life:

  1. Be kind and patient to those around me. My time is not more valuable than theirs. There's always time to listen, care and make someone's day better.
  2. Don't live in fear of the new, the unknown or the risky. Know that I have the courage and confidence to face, if not tackle, every challenge that the day brings me.
  3. Learn something new every day. Never stop learning. Never doubt my ability to learn.
  4. Nurture relationships; don't let them wilt or grow apart. Reconnect with old friends and family. Remember the importance of having people in my life who I trust and value (and vice versa). Don't be an agoraphobe!
  5. Appreciate the smaller things: a new recipe, a few kind words, a small victory. These add up.
  6. Appreciate the bigger things that I've been taking for granted: a loving companion, a vibrant city, a stable job and supportive team.
  7. My success is not lessened by that of people around me. It is, in fact, strengthened.
  8. Home is where the heart is.


No comments:

Post a Comment